ARTISTIC DIRECTOR POSTING
Deadline extended to July 31
Organization: Blue Bridge Repertory Theatre
Job Name: Artistic Director
Location: 2657 Quadra Street, Victoria, BC
Company Website: http://www.bluebridgetheatre.ca
Reports To: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: Artistic Staff
Type: Part Time
Salary Range: $35,000 gross per annum including director’s fees with potential for growth
Start Date: November 2022
Blue Bridge Repertory Theatre is searching for a part-time, experienced Artistic Director to take charge of its artistic strategy and operations.
The company produces four-six mainstage shows at the historic Roxy Theatre.
Blue Bridge is committed to diversity. Women, members of visible minorities, newcomers to Canada, Indigenous individuals, persons with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply.
Blue Bridge is committed to producing world classics while providing opportunities for both experienced and emerging artists.
It is a non-profit and federally registered charity co-led by the Artistic Director and the General Manager, who both report to the Board of Directors and oversee an approximate annual budget of $500,000. Blue Bridge is committed to maximizing inclusion and support for emerging artists, as well as artists from historically underrepresented groups in our theatre community.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Programming the season in collaboration with the General Manager
- Casting and choosing the creative teams for each production
- Directing at least two mainstage shows
- Working with the staff and board of directors to develop and execute successful, long-term strategic and business plans
- Collaborating with the General Manager to prepare annual budget, write grant applications, and coordinate fund-raising
- Attending monthly board meetings and reporting on artistic matters
- Cultivating external relationships and active community engagement
- Creating and implementing long-term artistic objectives
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Exceptional communication skills and a proven track record as a team player
- Experience in an artistic leadership role, preferably at least 3 years
- A substantial record of directing the Classics
- Focus on, and extensive knowledge of, great classics of Western theatre and recent plays of scope
- Budgetary experience
- A growth mindset balanced with financial and logistical acumen
- Experience and a track record of success in grant writing
- A track record of sponsoring and supporting young and emerging artists
- Commitment and strategy for strong relationships with artists of diverse backgrounds
- Robust engagement with diverse audiences and a strong understanding of what they want
- Proven success in supporting publicity campaigns and galvanizing fundraising initiatives
- Self-confidence, self-motivation and the ability to take calculated risks
Opportunities to Express Your Vision:
Although we are committed to our original artistic vision, BBRT welcomes a new AD’s input on:
- Re- examining and reinvigorating season layout, casting model, ticketing/patronage models
- New or revamped relationships with educational institutions
- Developing more connections to local and provincial theatre ecologies
- Finding ways to grow our audiences, including attracting new demographics
- Expanding BBRT’s mandate to include Worldwide classics
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application by emailing your cover letter and résumé to [email protected]
The position is open until filled.
Please include a cover letter which ensures you address the following questions: Where do you see Blue Bridge Theatre in the theatre ecology in Victoria and BC, and where do you imagine taking it in the future? What makes you a good fit for BBRT, and what traits will help you lead BBRT into the future?
Please also include 3 letters of reference sent directly from referees to [email protected]
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, and will contact everyone regardless of outcome. Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada. All applications will remain confidential and will be carefully and transparently reviewed and assessed by the Search Committee.